Instructions for submitting a ProjectWHOI application:
Do not use the browser buttons to complete the application — you will lose your work. Use the "next" and "back" buttons at the bottom of the page to navigate.
Eligibility: ProjectWHOI is open to all WHOI employees and students. All applications must be approved by the Executive Vice President and Director of Research before the applicant can start a crowdfunding page on ProjectWHOI. Project managers will only be allowed one project per quarter.
Deadlines: Applications will be accepted and approved quarterly on a first-come, first-served basis. ProjectWHOI will host no more than five projects per quarter.
1st quarter: Jan. 1 — March 31 2nd quarter: April 1 — June 30
3rd quarter: July 1 — Sept. 30 4th quarter: Oct. 1 — Dec. 31
Projects submitted with fewer than 30 days left in a quarter will be considered for the next quarter.
Registration: Each applicant must provide relevant personal information and create a login on ProjectWHOI.
Crowdfunding goal: Applicants can choose a financial goal between $1,000 (minimum) and $20,000 (maximum).
Campaign duration: Approved applicants may choose a 30-day or 60-day campaign.
Application: Applicants should complete the application with a general, non-scientific audience in mind.
- Project Title: Provide a title no longer than 10 words.
- Project Description: In 3-4 paragraphs, describe your project and why you think crowdfunding will help you reach your goals.
- Your project using simple, clear language.
- Scientific impact and/or benefit to society.
- Your crowdfunding goal and how the money will be used.
- Other material:
If your crowdfunding project is approved, you will need the following content to launch your personal ProjectWHOI fundraising page:
- Bio about yourself and, if applicable, your team, no longer than 1 paragraph
- Multimedia: 1-3 minute video and photos/graphics are encouraged for approved projects